Haskell Osife-Antone Post 51, the Women’s Auxiliary Unit 51 and District 1 hosts Veterans Day celebration
November 16, 2018
Roberto A. Jackson
Gila River Indian News
District 1 opened their arms to veterans on Nov. 10 for the Veterans Day Celebration. The parade and ensuing program was hosted by Haskell Osife-Antone Post 51, Haskell Osife-Anotne Women’s Auxiliary Unit 51 and District 1. Kenneth Morgan Sr., was the grand marshal as veterans, school groups and other supporters lined Blackwater School Road for a crisp morning of patriotism and gratitude for the men and women who served in the U.S. armed forces.
The parade started at the District 1 Service Center and the procession ended at the Keli Akimel Ballpark for special presentations and a meal for families and visitors. Following the final entry, a special flyover roared over the crowd of onlookers.
The program consisted of a welcoming by Post 51 Commander Virgil Brown, Maria Pablo with the Women’s Auxiliary and remarks by Gov. Stephen Roe Lewis and Lt. Gov. Robert Stone.
“I’m proud today to be here to celebrate Veterans Day with you on this very special occasion, we should never forget how our veterans lived, how our veterans fought, how our veterans sacrificed,” said Gov. Lewis.
Lt. Gov. Stone said he was honored to attend the event and all the festivities. “Thank you for inviting us to the parade, it was a great parade,” he said.
Winners of the parade awards were Blackwater Community School Cheer Squad (Originality), Blackwater Community School Gate Program (Patriotism) and Haskell Osife-Antone Post 51 and Auxiliary Unit 51 (Symbolism).
The entries were:
American Legion Haskell Osife-Antone Post 51
1. Grand Marshal – Kenneth Morgan
2. Blackwater Community School Color Guard
3. Governor Stephen R. Lewis
4. Lt. Governor Robert Stone
5. Gila River Royalty
6. 2017-2018 Jr. Miss Ak-Chin – Alison Siv-lik. Miguel & 2017 Jr. Miss Ak-Chin Attendant – Jilayne Ha:l Heosig Miguel
7. Coolidge High School Tribes Club
8. Commander, Breecher Anderson IV
9. Haskell Osife-Antone Unit 51
10. Blackwater Youth Group
11. District 1 Little Quails T-Ball Team
12. District 1 Recreation Committee
13. Blackwater Community School – Gate Program
14. District 1 Staff
15. Gila River Fire Department